Democracy Unleashed is an Open Britain campaign, delivering a central part of the mission to Make Democracy Work…For Everyone.
We aim to improve public understanding of democracy, increase public engagement in democratic processes and support efforts to reform our outdated first-past-the-post electoral system.
Our campaign objectives are:
- To persuade at least 1 million of the 9 million people currently eligible to vote but not registered to do so to cast their vote at the 2024 general election
- To produce and distribute a comprehensive set of free educational resources explaining how democracy works using language that is easy to understand and in a style that is accessible to everyone
- To equip people with the insight and tools they require to combat the misinformation (fake news) that undermines effective democracy
- To encourage people with no background in politics to consider standing for public office and to provide them with the information and support they need to do so
- To help ensure electoral reform is a decisive factor in how people cast their votes at the next general election
In carrying out our work, we aim to amplify the voices of everyday people in the democratic debate, particularly those who are too often left out by dint of their ethic background, gender, sexuality or socio-economic status.
We are not aligned with any political party but we have strong social values that inform our objectives and guide our approach.
We recognise the value of co-operation and welcome opportunities to work in partnership with any organisation that shares our values.
Do you like this page?